I've been wanting to do a favorite things post lately after seeing them on a few blogs. So here it is! I'll start with shoes.
1. My favorite everyday trainer is the Brooks Launch 2. It's all I wear lately.
2. My favorite "fast" shoe for racing and speedwork in the Brooks Pure Flow 4. In my opinion, this is the best update Brooks has done to the Flow series. I wore this shoe when I ran Boston, and it felt awesome the whole time, even when becoming soaked from all the rain (zero blisters or hot spots).
3. Truth- I have this tank in every color. It's perfect for the African jungle summers we have here. Does anyone remember the D'lite tank that Brooks had out a few years ago? Well, this is similar, but WAY better. I like the criss-cross backing because it makes it more breathable. However, this tank runs big. I typically wear a small/medium in Brooks tops, and I have this tank in a small, but could probably wear the XS.
4. Mammas, is it just me, or does your entire chest/upper body change after having a baby? I've basically had to overhaul all my sports bras, and I went through a pretty ugly trial and error phase with finding a new bra that works for me. It seems that my rib cage expanded during pregnancy, and then my boobs totally disappeared after weaning Squishy from breastfeeding. Like, seriously, they are GONE. Fun times for bra shopping. Luckily, I've found this gem. And a cool thing- it's reversible! Brooks owns Moving Comfort now (or they are partnered, or something like that…) This is the Switch It Up Racer.
5. And moving on to the skin protection section. LOL. I rarely am in the sun without a hat or visor. After basal cell carcinoma and having my face cut open while 30 weeks pregnant, I've definitely stepped it up a notch in the protection department. This visor is my jam. I literally have every color/design of it that Brooks has sold on their site. And I am not including a link to the Brooks site because they don't sell it anymore. SAD DAY! I'm going to have to try out the new "Bolt" visor, I suppose.
6. My dermatologist stands behind Neutrogena products. I use the stick on my face/neck and the standard lotion on the rest of my body. It's not greasy at all, and doesn't have that weird "sunscreen smell."
7. Sam has gotten me into Nuun. And here's my deal. I'm incredibly cheap. Like, I hate spending money on beverages. However, in this climate and running the mileage that I am, I recognize the importance of restoring my fluids with electrolytes. So, after extreme hot and humid runs (basically every day, LOL), I use a Nuun in my water bottle. The stuff is addictive. It's slightly fizzy, but doesn't have too strong of a taste (why I am not a fan of Gatorade). My favorite is the strawberry lemonade, but I also like the lemon-lime.
8. My former coach and friend got me into UCAN. I might have blogged about this before, but UCAN is a super starch with very low sugar. You drink it 30 minutes before endurance workouts, and it can also be used as a recovery drink (some varieties have protein). Please know that this stuff tastes like chalk. Chalk, people. It is worth it, though! I struggled for years to find a fuel that didn't upset my stomach during marathons/ultras. And I was finally introduced to this. No, it doesn't taste good. Power through, though! I also started putting a scoop into my recovery smoothies after long workouts. In a smoothie you can't taste it at all. I use the vanilla flavor post-workouts because it has protein and it blends nicely with my fruit, almond milk, etc. I really do think it helps my body recover faster! And I'm not just saying that because Meb believes it. Ha!
9. I LOVE my Bob Revolution stroller. We rack up the miles with it!
10. And in case you were wondering about that yellow thing on top of the stroller, that's Squishy's fan. Yep, she has a fan blowing on her when she rides. I mean, 10 mile runs get hot, even if you are riding!
And there you have it friends! I hope everyone is having a Run Happy summer! Only 3 more days of vacation for me. *Insert sad face*