November 15, 2008

Same Song and Dance

Another race, another NON-improvement. I am not totally down about today's half marathon, though. Faster times MIGHT be in the future (the far future, but future at least). After the 10K, I pretty much had the feeling that I should not be expecting any shocking PR. Pfitz's plan just didn't do for me what it does for so many runners. That's a shame b/c I spent a lot of hours working for some faster times. I am only slightly faster today than I was a year ago.

My friend and I left very early this morning to go to Eglin AFB for the Timerlake Half Marathon. She is training for her 2nd marathon and had never run a half. We arrived early and knew right away that it would be a pretty small race. My Garmin has been acting naughty recently and Esined from RW was kind enough to give me his old one. I received it last night and didn't want to use it for the first time during a race.

The race started and I ran the first two miles with a girl from Finland. After that she pulled away and I secretly hoped she was running the 5K. I noticed that Garmin was not acting right. I was pushing lap and nothing was happening. Apparently, it had not started. I had already run 4 miles when I realized this, so decided to wait for the turn around to restart it. There was a VERY strong headwind. I knew my pace was not what it should be. There was no way I would be PRing under these weather conditions. I made it to the turn around (6.5 miles) at 44:47- UUGGHHHH! At that rate, I wouldn't even break 1:30. Luckily, when I turned around the wind was behind me.

I could see the Finland girl in the distance, but too far distance. I tried to stay with a pack of men, but no luck. I ran alone for a very long time. This was nothing new, I do it every day. Here are the splits for the 2nd half:

3:06 (0.5 mile)
6:37
6:40
6:34
6:37
6:29
7:05 (1.1 miles)

Finish time 1:27:54, missing PR by 3 seconds, good for 2nd place overall female. I wasn't too disappointed b/c I know that I made up some serious time in the 2nd half.

My friend did awesome. She ran 1:42 and won the female masters division. It is so nice to have someone to talk running. I'm encouraging her to go for the BQ in her upcoming marathon. She is a super-duper friend.

In general, I just feel very, very discouraged with myself. I don't understand why I am not faster. My mind tells me to be patient, but my heart wants to cry. K suggested that I have hit my plateau. What? Already? Surely not. I hope not. I refuse to think that is possible. I try to think back to about a year and a half ago. I had an entire year where my times were at a stand-still. I really thought I would never improve, and it wasn't from lack of trying. Finally everything clicked and the times started really dropping. I hope it will be the same this time. I am trying to be patient with myself. I ran a decent race, just not quite fast enough for the ever-quested sub 3. Realistically, I am thinking 3:03-3:06 as a goal for Charlotte.

Now, about that next race...

2 comments:

  1. Do not fret! Even if it is a plateau... that is not the same as a peak, when the only way to go after is down. I know I'm not as experienced as you, but from the little experience I've had, plateaus WILL happen, and they WILL pass. What training plan has worked best for you in the past?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog from the RW forums, and I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading about your running. I think we are about the same age although I am a lot slower than you! Your dedication and perseverance is inspirational. I hope you reach your goals soon!

    ReplyDelete