March 19, 2012

When the Tough Gets Going

This past week nearly did me in. In my 11 years of teaching, I have never had a class this tough. Their behavior is a little short of terrible. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be requesting to move down in grade level after this year. I don't want to go into too much on this blog, but some things these kids do and are involved in is so far over my head that I don't even know how to handle them. On top of the general pre-teen hormones, I have a student with bipolar disorder. Wow, what a challenge.  We also have an upcoming field trip (lots of planning) and State testing quite soon. Add these stresses to the time commitments of coaching, and I was feeling pretty overwhelmed. And then came Friday.

The Boy and I went to the Avett Brothers concert Friday night, and had a total blast. Saturday morning I was up and at 'em for the track meet. We actually drove across the state line to an invitational meet hosted by the Florida State Champs. We knew the competition would be great (and they had cheap entry). I was VERY impressed by this track meet. I would rank it up there with Sectionals and State Meets (in AL). They had done a lot with the facility, and made it very easy for coaches and fans to travel from various events to watch. They also had special areas sectioned off just for coaches, which I thought was really nice. It gave us a somewhat separated place to watch and coach our athletes. (Athletes in the current event were allowed in there, too.) Someday in my coaching career, I would like to host a track meet. Not some rinky-dink county meet, but a BIG one. Every time I go to a meet I'm adding to the little lists in my head of what to do and not to do.

The Bears were pretty much blown away this week competition-wise. The kids performed well, a few PRs, but the other schools were just so GOOD! We placed 10th out of 15 teams- meh. I did feel good that we beat another school in our county that beat us last week (always keeping the sectional meet in mind).

And... my running. Being that I was almost done in, I only had 1 speed workout last week. It didn't happen until Friday, either. I did 13 miles with 2 minutes hard/ 1 minute easy x 15. I did it in the dark, but had set my Garmin for the hard/easy beeps. The screen I chose didn't show pace, only clock time and time remaining in the rep. I used the route from last week's 5K, which is a tad hilly. When I got home and looked at the data, I was disappointed in the speeds, but one positive was that I hit it like a progression run (totally by accident). My first 2 minute session was totally slow, like 6:4X pace. I was able to work it down to 6:1X in my last few, though. I think that is a result of getting up at early o'clock and not being totally warmed up or awake when starting the workout. Being that it was my first speed session since The Woodlands, my legs were likely rusty going into it. And BOY, I was sore on Saturday! I have a LONG way to go to get to where I need to be speed-wise.

Well, enough of my weekly rambling. Run Happy, friends!

5 comments:

  1. Very cool about the track meet and figuring out what you do from it. Hey, the kids are gonna win some, lose some, you just joined on too, so there's lots of growth in store for both you and the kids.

    Great speed session! In the dark and hilly? Bet if you'd have done it on the flat you'd not be disappointed with the numbers at all. Do you ever give yourself a break from perfection? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/19/2012

    My first couple speed sessions after the marathon were pretty crappy for me, too. I think my first track workout was 800s in 3:05-3:10 and those felt like sprinting! Six weeks later and 2:50-2:55 is manageable.

    Plus, 15 x 2 min = 30 min of work. That's a lot to start out with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the speed session. I've got a November marathon, but I want to spend the spring and summer doing shorter, faster stuff. I'm pretty sure my legs have forgotten how!

    Don't worry about the tough running week. They happen. And besides, that speed workout doesn't sound like you eased into it at all. 13 mi with 15 intervals?! That's a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So that is what dropping mileage looks like?! ;) haha

    Great idea taking notes at meets-how better to design what you want but by learning from the big schools. When you get your chance, with your conscientiousness, it'll be awesome!!

    Regarding dealing with the children-how do people who don't run survive? Seriously?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this week has been better for you and good job with the speed workout. I have no doubt you will shake out the "rust" and be flying in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete