August 3, 2008

Too Difficult?

Is 70+ too much for me? I chose this plan b/c I felt higher mileage would help me lower my marathon time. I have tried many various plans and made VERY gradual improvements in my time. For some reason, about Thursday of this week I was sick and tired of running. The heat is taking its toll on me. I am sick of sweating and feeling hot. I know, I know, what do I expect in the south. I was able to hit the mileage this past week to a "T", but it wasn't easy. I was dreading this morning's LR of 22 miles. I decided last night to look at the run like my job- sometimes it is really hard, but in the end all the hard work is worth it. My "task" this morning was to take care of my run. I ran the first 10 in the dark and had an 7:57 average. I got KIND OF into it after mile 10 and decided to push the pace just a tad. I held on pretty well until mile 19 when the sun really decided to beam down on me. This is also when I was no longer in shade and had no beverages left. I actually stopped where a woman was watering her plants and asked her for a sip of hose water. Nasty, I know, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I finished out the run w/ a 7:47 pace. Not even close to where I need to be for a sub-3. I was discouraged with my pace, but relieved the run was over. I have many thoughts running through my head right now, mostly questions.
1. Is my loser attitude being caused by too many miles? 87 a week IS a lot.
2. Was my LR time crappy b/c of too many miles or weather conditions? 76 degrees w/ 93% humidity (who knows what is was at the finish)
3. Do I need to revise my training plan and stray from Pfitz 70+?
All of this going on in my head along with the start of school. I will have 19 babies this year. My room is almost ready, just some minor housekeeping things to take care of. I'm getting excited!

Week in review:
7/28: 16 w/ no Garmin
7/29: A.M. 6 miles @ 8:21 pace; P.M. 4 miles @ 8:00 pace
7/30: 15 miles @ 7:33 pace
7/31: A.M. 6 miles (no garmin); P.M. 4 miles (no garmin)
8/1: 12 miles on TM; 1st 6 @ 7:30 pace, 2nd 6 @ 6:29
8/2: 8 miles easy (no garmin)
8/3: 22 miles @ 7:47 pace

Total: 93 miles (Monday's run was switched from last week.)

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it has been so long since I've commented, but I've still been staying caught up!

    I'm finding myself in the same position as you. After recovering from an injury a few weeks ago, I feel like something is just missing. There have been more runs where I've left my Garmin at home because I just don't care/don't want to know my pace.. feeling less excited about a new run.. ugh!

    I ran another 1:36 half this last weekend. Like you - not where I need to be for a sub 3. Even though I didn't go all out, I don't think I could have shaved more than 6 minutes off. Grrr!!

    You hang in there. I'm hangin in there. This too shall pass. I need to get my butt in gear and go register for BayState before it fills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked at your blog for the first time. I was trying the 70+ plan, but started getting some injuries and really eased back with cross-training. But, it looks like mileage wise you are doing great!
    As far as the way you feel based on the tone of your last two posts I would say you're over-trained though. You mentioned 4-5 hours sleep a night? At 80+ miles a week? Cause for concern in my book. No desire to train this last week? Sounds like the body telling you something. I think with all of the mileage you have put in a very drastic cut-back week with lots of sleep and good nutrition would do wonders for you. But, just a humble Texan's opinion!
    Great job on the training plan though! You can absolutely break 3 hrs!

    ReplyDelete