May 21, 2008

Sighhh...

I ran today to clear my head. This was something different from my usual routine. During the wee hours of the morning, I usually run to sort my thoughts, not get rid of them. I debate and rationalize things going on my life, say my prayers, and do my very best planning.

One issue in our life right now is the possibility of moving. K is up for a head coaching job in a new town about 3 hours from here. I have debated, thought, and worried about this possibility for over 2 months now. Today, the day of the formal interview, it was time to let go. What other better way to let go of something than by running?

We were in K's parent's town, Tallassee. This is not a runner-friendly town at all. You can expect to almost get hit by a vehicle at least twice. I started a few minutes before 6 and headed up the steep hill away from their house and made my way towards the dam bridge (it's actually a dam, but the pun is intended). Pfitz scheduled an easy run for today, but I decided to let my body take over and just run at my natural pace. I had on my MP3 player and just focused on putting one foot in front of the other. I only thought about my breathing, my stride, and then attempted to think about nothing. It was a good feeling to just be me and the road, my head slowly getting clear of clutter. I did an out-and-back 8 miler, 7:29 pace, not too fast, not too slow. I wouldn't exactly call this a recovery run, but mentally I recovered from a lot.

Later in the morning, I was able to have a successful interview with a clear head. It's amazing how something as physical as running can actually be relaxing. It works for me every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment