July 2, 2016

June Training Recap


The main purpose I restarted this blogging adventure is to document my training for my first 50 Miler, JFK 50 Miler.  Let's recap June's training.

Workouts:
* 9 miles w/ 10 x 0.25 hill repeats outside with Sam
* one hour run w/ hill repeats of 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 minutes, 6% incline on TM
*  2 9-mile progression runs- 8:34 pace down to 6:34 on TM
* 8 miles w/ 6 x 5 min @ 6:27 pace on TM
* 6 miles w/ 5 x 5 min @ 6:40-6:55 pace OUTSIDE

Long Runs:
* 5 15-milers
* 2 16-milers
* a 2 hour and 40 minute run (maybe 18-20 miles)
* 22-miler

Monthly mileage was over 320 miles. I'm not sure exactly b/c a few runs I didn't record, but I know I hit at least 80 miles each week in June.

Positive takeaways- I'm proud of my mileage. I feel that it's where it needs to be to prepare my body for the 50 mile race. I've been consistent about getting out of bed and getting it done. My body hasn't done this kind of mileage in nearly 3 years. I can definitely feel it, but I don't seem to be having any specific sore spots or worries of injury.

Negative takeaways- I'd like to see fewer 15-16 mile runs and more 20+. A few of those 15-16 mile runs were supposed to be 20+, but various things happened, like weather, bonking, etc. I need to get them in, though, regardless.

Goals for July- During one 15 miler while on the Struggle Bus, Sam began asking me what I had to drink and eat the day before. Y'all, my hydration was pitiful the day before! Yes, I've been running with a bottle, but I really, really need to focus on hydrating consistently. She gave me the goal of 5 large Tervis tumblers per day of water. I do feel like it's helped a little bit. Still working on that. I also had my yearly iron test and it came back on the low end of average. I already take a multivitamin, but added an extra iron tablet in hopes of improving that. I'm also trying to add more meats and leafy greens to my diet.

Thanks for reading, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment