I bagged the Azalea Trail Run 10K this morning. I was primed and ready, too. I woke up due to howling winds and pounding rains last night. So, when my alarm went off at 5, I knew I needed to check on the situation in Mobile. I went and looked at the weather, only to find that we were under a Flood and Tornado Warning. Nice, real nice. Mobile weather wasn't much better. Tornado Watch and 90% chance of storms at start time. Okay, so what do I do? I stalked the computer for a few minutes, talked to Speedy Anna, and weighed the pros and cons.
Pros of running it- I already paid & mini tapered for this race. I haven't seen running girlfriends in a long while.
Cons of running it- Um, running in the weather, driving in the weather, and possible wasted gas & time if the race is cancelled. So... I called it a day and bagged it.
I knew I would feel guilty immediately and I did. I then read that they had delayed the start. Hmmm.... more thinking, more weather stalking. Finally, a decision was made for me by the closing of roads in our wonderful map dot town. Apparently 14 feet of water covered the bridge "downtown" and the water was expected to rise to 22 feet by Sunday morning. Yikes! In a way, I felt relieved b/c it was no longer my decision. I COULDN'T get to the race, even if I wanted to run it!
What am I going to do you ask? Well, after consulting Coach, I am going to run easy today and beef up tomorrow's LR w/ 22 miles w/ 4-6@GMP. Yippeee. In regards to the race, I think it did clear off in time for the delayed start, but Speedy Anna said it was hot, humid, & miserable. I would probably just have been disappointed when I didn't PR, so I guess it is all for the best.
In NRR matters, my National Board Certification Portfolio is to be postmarked on Tuesday and I am STILL not finished with it. Fun. Real fun. Guess what I'm doing all weekend?
Run strong, friends.